Thursday, April 25, 2013

Ammendment to Teaser Tuesday #2

In my previous post, I mentioned that I was in the process of finishing my first year of graduate school and listed the book, Ruby Red by Kerstin Gier as one of this week's pleasure reads.  Unfortunately, I had to rethink this book choice due to it being one of three books in a trilogy. I have learned that once I start a book series of any kind I want to finish it right then and there (hence my frantic search for a copy of Scarlet by Marissa Meyer a month ago after I finished reading Cinder). Therefore, I have chosen to spice things up with two selections from the Chick Lit genre.

The first book is called Goddess For Hire by Sonia Singh. The book follows Maya Mehra who has just discovered that she is the reincarnation of the Hindu goddess Kali. Upon realizing this, she decides to rent her services out for hire with what looks like disastrous results. This book has everything I love in novels that have ties to Indian - match making aunts, Hindu mythology, and a tad bit of romance to tie it all together.

"He'd called once, since moving out, wanting to know if there was a Neiman Marcus in Santa Monica. Before I could inform him the closest was in Beverly Hills, he received another call and put me on hold...After three minutes I hung up."

My  next choice is Sassafrass, Cypress, & Indigo by Ntozake Shange. This book is about three sisters who's names are included in the book title. Each sister is an artists trying to find her way in the world. Sassafrass is the oldest and is a college educated poet who moves from Charleston, North Carolina to Los Angeles. Then, there is Cypress, the dancer, who is only described as "being on a mission to find a new way to move in the world." Finally, Indigo, the youngest is stuck in Charleston. Indigo is also described as a poet however, she is pinpointed as the sister who is "most open to seeing the magic in the world." This books sounds like it's going to be a very creative read for lack of a better word. I know that Shange is notorious for having written for colored girls who have considered suicide/ when the rainbow is enuf and that she deals with very strict subject matter, but I hope this book is more upbeat than her more infamous novel/play.

"I'll eat pork if I want to; I'll paint both my lips red. I ain't goin' to heaven when I'm dead."

Hopefully, this is the LAST book change in my line-up for the week. Hope everybody is having an amazing week.

Cheers!



 

No comments:

Post a Comment